Reading at Horizon Primary Academy
At Horizon Primary Academy, we realise that reading for pleasure can make a big difference to a child's educational performance. It can broaden a child's vocabulary, increase a child's knowledge of different subjects and can play a part in enhancing a child's imagination. It is one of the most important skills your child will learn at Primary School.
We make sure that every child has the opportunity to read every day, which has led to the increase in the enjoyment of reading around the school.
Reading in Key Stage One
Our aims for our children in Key Stage One are that children will:
Reading in Key Stage Two
Our aims for our children in Key Stage Two are that children will:
In September 2015, we brought in the reading scheme "Accelerated Reader". Since then, it has been noted that the enjoyment of reading has increased massively. Children are now excited with their reading and want to read more.
AR is a powerful tool for monitoring and managing independent reading practice. With AR, teachers create a reading programme to meet the needs of every student.
Accelerated Reader works by:
1. Determining a reading level. First, a student’s optimal reading level is determined through the STAR Reading Enterprise assessment. This assessment suggests a range of book levels for each student called the “zone of proximal development”, or ZPD. Children should begin reading books that have a level at the lower end of their ZPD and gradually move up the range in order to make optimum progress.
2. Setting practice goals. Teachers support children to set individualized reading practice goals based on reading quantity, quality, and difficulty and they can then monitor progress toward those goals.
3. Personalising practice. Personalised reading practice means students read books of interest at their own reading level. AR BookFinder makes it easy to find the perfect book.
4. Students taking an AR Quiz. AR offers more than 150,000 quizzes of three types on both fiction and nonfiction titles. Students have many different options for taking AR Quizzes, including laptops, PCs, tablets, as well as through the AR Student App available on Apple® devices.
5. Receiving instant feedback. AR provides teachers with immediate information, helping them monitor the comprehension skills of each student and inform further instruction or intervention. Students and parents get instant feedback to help motivate success with the use of Renaissance Home Connect.
Quotes about Accelerated Reader
Brooke (Year 6): "I have read more books this year than I have in my entire life!"
George (Year 3): "I am now getting 100% in my quizzes. Get in!"
Frankie (Year 6): "Levi told me about this book he read a while back. It made me want to read it and even though it took me about a month, I am pleased I got 100% for it!"
The vision for Reading at Horizon Primary Academy
At Horizon Primary Academy we aim to develop reading skills with our pupils in order to improve their life chances, provide them with life skills and to promote reading for pleasure and enjoyment.
We believe that reading can open doors for our pupils and can help them to gain experiences, improve language and vocabulary skills and stimulate their imaginations. We aim to create confident readers who have good independent learning skills and develop a range of interests through reading.